Table of Contents
- Gun Safe: A Great Investment for Gun Owners
- Best Handgun Safes
- 1. VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe Smart Pistol Safe With Auto-open Lid And Rechargeable Battery
- 2. GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
- 3. SentrySafe Pistol Safe, Quick Access Gun Safe With LED Interior Lights, Two Pistol Capacity, QAP2EL
- 4. Stack-On GCB-900 Steel Pistol/Ammo Cabinet, Black
- 5. BARSKA Biometric Safe
- Best Long Gun (Rifle) Safes and Cabinets
- 1. Stack-On GCB-910 Steel 10-Gun Compact Steel Security Cabinet, Black
- 2. Paragon 7775 Lock and Safe 1.8 CF Large Electronic Digital Safe Gun Jewelry Home Secure
- 3. Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652
- 4. Steelwater Heavy Duty 22 Long Gun Fire Protection for 60 Minutes AMLD593024-blk
- 5. Cannon Safe AE592618-60-H1FEC-17 American Eagle Gun Safe
- Gun Safe Buying Guide
Gun Safe: A Great Investment for Gun Owners
Having the best gun safe that you can use to store firearms is something that you should consider investing on if you are a gun owner. Other than that, investing in a gun safe is a great idea even if you only have one gun.
If you have more than one, then there is a greater reason for you to invest in a gun safe, because other than the need for a safe storage, guns also need some special care to prevent them from acquiring damage, especially from moisture. The best gun safes can provide this. You also have the option to install some gun safe accessories (dehumidifier, lights, organizer) if there is enough space.
Besides preventing thieves or children accidentally finding and playing with the deadly weapon, gun safe can also protect it from hazards like fire and flood.
Thieves have a great many ways of breaking through locks, so you must consider a storage that can’t be pried open with any handheld tools a thief can carry or retrieve in your home. Gun safe will protect your guns with quality steel and thick bolts that even large tools will have a hard time opening.
In case you need to retrieve the gun ASAP, some gun safes are built especially for this. There are options for electronic or biometric locks for easy retrieval.
Many states have also passed a law that compels gun owners to keep their guns locked up, so you might as well go all the way and get gun safe that will keep your gun as protected as it can be.
There are a lot of gun safes available in the market, so it could get really hard to choose the best for you. This guide aims to help you in making a good choice by listing the most popular safes out of the many available in the market that are designed for keeping your guns.
The top 5 best gun safes for handguns and long guns are listed below, along with their reviews with features and benefits. A comprehensive guide that lists what should you look for when choosing a gun safe is also included after the list.
Whether you are looking for a small gun safe, a fireproof one, a cheap one, the best rifle safe, or a small rifle safe, you will find it here.
Best Handgun Safes
A gun safe’s main purpose is keeping your guns out of the wrong hands. The best gun safes will give you this and more. Guns that are mainly for self-defense purposes must be easy to retrieve, and you might want small gun safes (pistol safes) so the gun is easy to retrieve in a few seconds.
The best handgun safes should provide easy access to your gun in case of emergencies. You might also want it to be installed in drawers, dashboards, or even under your bed, where it can easily be retrieved.
Big gun safes might also be used but fitting them in the right space that you can retrieve them with ease might be a problem. With small gun safes, you can even put it in your car or beneath the desk (for example if you are a jeweler and need it for the defense of your store or in any other work place that you need guns for self-defense).
Since these safes are small, you might want it to be bolted into a surface to prevent a thief from walking out with the safe itself. Small handgun safes are usually light enough to carry around by hand.
Below is my best pistol gun safe picks with reviews of the top 5 small gun safes.
1. VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe Smart Pistol Safe With Auto-open Lid And Rechargeable Battery
VAULTEK VT20i biometric gun safe is a small, slim handgun safe that can easily fit under car seats. These can also be slid under beds or drawers. It sports a high-resolution fingerprint scanner that can store up to 20 different user IDs. It comes with a heavy duty 5-mm diameter steel security cable, as well as a mounting hardware to secure the gun safe in place.
This gun safe is built with a smart technology feature that also allows for remote access using your phone to view safe history, check power levels, customize safe preferences, as well as detect tampering. It also comes with a set of built-in interior LED lights in case you need to get your gun in the dark.
The VAULTEK VT20i gun safe has long-lasting rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that can last for months and only takes 2.5 hours to fully charge with the included micro USB charging kit.
The VAULTEK VT20i gun safe is marketed for people who need a portable storage for guns either used for self-defense or recreation.
- You can easily bring it during your travels due to its small and slim design.
- It comes with a mounting hardware and steel security cables to secure in place.
- It has a biometric scanner for quick and manual access in case its electronic lock fails.
- Smart Technology allows remote access to check history, tampering, and customizing preferences.
- It is not fire-resistant and waterproof. However, it will still work even after getting submerged in water.
- It has some software issues. Some owners comment that the log can delete itself from time to time. Others claim that the gun safe can open on its own.
- It is easy to carry, even for thieves, if left unmounted.
2. GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
GunVault SV500 gun safe can be considered as the best handgun safe for those who want and need a quick access for their guns. It is even designed with a drop down drawer which makes it ready to fire when you draw your gun.
GunVault gun safe is designed like a gun holster, with a lock and with a lot of added qualities that come with a gun safe.
This gun safe is mountable and can be placed in a vehicle. It can also be placed in areas within an arms reach, like the bottom of drawers or at the top of tall cabinets
- Designed for easy mounting, even in vehicles.
- Comes with an internal light.
- It has a silent mode, so the keys won’t make any noise if you don’t want it to.
- The safe does not feel flimsy when mounted, unlike other safes.
- It makes a small noise when the lock latch or unlatch that can’t be silenced.
- The internal light might not be comfortable to the eyes since it’s too bright.
- You need to touch the keypad before it shows the low battery warning.
- The keypad might take a little work to get used to. You can practice with entering the code for quicker access.
3. SentrySafe Pistol Safe, Quick Access Gun Safe With LED Interior Lights, Two Pistol Capacity, QAP2EL
SentrySafe Pistol gun safe provides quick and silent access to your guns so that you can easily get you gun in times that you will urgently need it. It’s designed with enough space for two pistols and comes with interior lighting in case you need to access it in a dark room. Its gas strut for compression allows for silent entry, especially ideal in emergency situations.
It’s made from solid steel and is resistant to prying. It has an on-the-go pistol positioning for quick weapon use. It also comes with a master override key in case a backup access is needed.
SentrySafe pistol safe is also certified for use in California, as it has already passed the Department of Justice requirements. So, if you live in California, this gun safe is good to go, and you won’t get any issues with local government.
- Compression gas spring provides easy and silent access.
- Interior lighting provides illumination in case of access in dark areas.
- Can be bolted down in shelves or floors.
- Pry-resistant door.
- Mounting on walls may cause its contents to fall.
- You might need to double-press the first digit of entry code, or risk entering the wrong one.
- Not fire-resistant or waterproof.
4. Stack-On GCB-900 Steel Pistol/Ammo Cabinet, Black
Stack-On GCB-900 gun safe has a high-quality welded steel box with an all-steel three-point locking system. It has a double-butted lock with a key code. It is also designed with fully welded and staked piano hinges that are ideal for optimum pry resistance.
GCB-900 comes with the Stack-On’s patented barrel rest and barrel standoffs that are built for scoped guns.
This Stack-On gun safe has pre-drilled holes for easy mounting, so you can conveniently place it on either a wall or floor. Furthermore, it also aligns with Stack-On Pistol/Ammo Cabinets.
It is approved by the California Department of Justice for meeting its standards for a firearm storage.
- No batteries needed, so you won’t ever have a problem with batteries dying out on you in the most crucial moments.
- You still need to have the key at hand though, which is another problem on itself.
- It has a large space for storing multiple pistols and ammunition. You can also use the extra space for jewelry or important items.
- It is good enough to keep your weapons away from children and less determined burglars.
- Not fire resistant or waterproof.
- Shelves are plastic and can sag. Replacements can, of course, be bought.
- Can be opened by hand tools or drills easily, making even well–prepared thieves annoyed just to get into your valuable.
5. BARSKA Biometric Safe
BARSKA biometric gun safe is compact and easy to install, even in hidden locations. It features a biometric lock using a fingerprint scanner. It can store as much as 30 fingerprint IDs.
The biometric lock allows easy access in case of emergency situations. You can open the safe with just one finger. This safe can also be used to store not just guns, but also important documents and valuables. It includes a mounting hardware and emergency backup keys if the biometric lock fails.
Barska gun safe has a solid steel two-point deadbolt lock which ensures that it can’t be pried. Four AA batteries power up this safe, and it can last up to two years. It is advised to keep the fingerprint scanner clean. It is also recommended to remove print smudge after every use. Moreover, fingerprints should be test registered every six months.
The indicator lights will flash red, and it will emit three repetitive beeps when low on batteries when the door is closed.
- Large space for storing valuables and handguns for easy access
- Slim design allows easy installation in hidden places like under the bed or cabinet
- Sturdy double deadbolt locks for optimum security
- Not fire-resistant and waterproof.
- Biometric lock can fail after two or more years.
- Safe is too tall to fit under most beds.
Best Long Gun (Rifle) Safes and Cabinets
Generally you should consider buying a gun safe of an average size, where you can put small or long guns as well as valuables.
Long gun safe is a good place to secure guns that you don’t really need to retrieve immediately, as well as a place to put in valuable items like jewelry and passports. You might want these to be fire-resistant and waterproof so that your guns and valuables will be safe even if a natural disaster occurs.
Some rifle safes can also be opened quickly, so if you don’t have an issue with it being hidden under small corners, then big ones won’t fail you in crucial times as well.
It’s preferable for large gun safes to be heavy. Heavier gun safes are harder to move around, making thieves unable to carry it with them even if they are not bolted down.
Large does not always mean good though, so you should check out safe’s features before buying. A long gun safe with flimsy locking mechanism or thin walls or those made using soft metal (easy to puncture or drill) is only as good as decorations for thieves with hand tools ready at hand.
My top picks for best long gun safes are below along with small review of each safe from the list.
1. Stack-On GCB-910 Steel 10-Gun Compact Steel Security Cabinet, Black
Stack-On GCB-910 gun safe is designed for comfort and usability for gun enthusiasts, without sacrificing money for quality. It passed the requirements of the California Department of Justice as safe firearm storage.
Its feature and welded construction equipped with three-point lock mechanism and key-coded, double-butted locks provide optimal protection and impact resistance.
Its hinges are the same as pianos and are made of entirely welded steel stakes. It also features barrel rests and barrel standoffs made for scoped rifles.
This Stack-On gun safe’s flush mount button makes it easier to mount on floors. It can also be easy installed on walls or floors with its pre-drilled holes.
If you have Stack-On Pistol/Ammo Cabinets, the pre-drilled holes for top-mounting help in easy installation.
The barrel rests allow you to store rifles in one position and keep it away from moving to the back part of the locker. It can also be removed if needed.
- Gun rest for single-position storing
- Can keep your children away from your guns, as well as casual thieves
- Can be broken into by thieves with handheld tools
- Not fire-resistant and waterproof
- Dents easily
2. Paragon 7775 Lock and Safe 1.8 CF Large Electronic Digital Safe Gun Jewelry Home Secure
Paragon 7775 Lock and Safe 1.8 gun safe features tamper-proof hinges made of solid steel. It is capable of resisting hand or mechanical weapon break-ins, so you don’t have to worry about thieves getting your door open by breaking off the hinges.
It can be opened with a pin code that can be modified without limitations or by keys. Its electronic lock is powered by AA size batteries.
It comes with pre-drilled tunnels to bolt into place. Its package also includes the bolts. You might want to get better bolts though, as many customers think that the bolt inclusions are a little flimsy to be used for a large gun safe.
Paragon safe features one interior shelf giving you two unique compartments. It also comes with a 10 years warranty.
- Hidden, tamper-proof hinges to hinder thieves who attack hinges
- Simple and programmable electronic locks
- Interior shelf for two unique compartments
- Not fire- or waterproof
- Lock can be broken into easily
- Keypad won’t lock out no matter how many wrong combinations you input
- No silent mode
3. Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe AX11652
This Barska gun safe provides quick access with just one finger. Its biometric scanner can store up to 120 fingerprints and can open up with a stored fingerprint in seconds.
The safe is made of all steel, with pre-drilled holes for mounting and also includes a mounting hardware. Its pry resistant door features three solid steel deadbolts that secure from top, bottom, and sides.
It also features a barrel rack to keep your guns from being moved around while stored, and the bottom is padded by a protective carpet.
A storage shelf can also be fitted at the top for handguns and ammo and can be removed for storage of longer hunting rifles.
Other than the biometric lock, this gun safe can also be opened with a traditional key.
In case the safe’s internal battery runs low, it also features an external battery pack, so you won’t have a problem with it running out of juice during emergencies.
- All-steel construction makes it durable and highly pry-resistant
- External batteries included in case its internal batteries get low
- Can also be opened with traditional keys
- Not fire-resistant nor is it waterproof
- Door may have poor quality and breaks off easily after several years
- Have thin walls that can be opened easily
- Biometric locks are known to fail a lot
4. Steelwater Heavy Duty 22 Long Gun Fire Protection for 60 Minutes AMLD593024-blk
This Steelwater gun safe is a heavy-duty storage for your more expensive firearms and valuables. It can resist heat up to 1550 ° F for 1 hour and has an EMP-proof electronic lock system.
You don’t have to be worried about getting locked out as this gun safe have a double-sided bypass key that will allow you to open it with ease.
This gun safe is also pretty durable, around eight times more drill-resistant than its competitors.
The inside is fully carpeted for better storage of your guns. It also features a heat-activated door seal, which will expand to keep out smoke and heat from the inside of your safe in case of fire.
This gun safe also features a re-locking device in the event that the lock gets punched out.
A hole is also drilled for the installation of the safe dehumidifier.
- Heat resistant for 60 minutes at 1550 ° F with heat-activated door seal.
- Very heavy, so it can’t be stolen easily.
- EMP-proof electronic lock protected by drill/ballistic-resistant steel plate.
- Re-locking mechanism that will prevent doors from opening even if locks are punched out.
- Heavyweight steel body with 10 deadbolts for lock so that even if you blow off the hinge, the door will stay secured.
- Accessories can be installed, like a dehumidifier.
- With anchor holes so it can also be bolted down.
- Has full-length shelf inside plus smaller shelves for smaller items.
- External battery compartment so you can change batteries from the outside.
- Made from drill-resistant steel.
- Hard to move around due to big weight.
- Some are not satisfied that the safe is assembled in China.
- Some claim that the metal is soft and can be broken easily.
- Not waterproof as it will get in the way of dehumidifiers.
5. Cannon Safe AE592618-60-H1FEC-17 American Eagle Gun Safe
This Cannon Safe gun safe is a very dependable safe that can withstand heat up to 60 minutes without damaging its contents.
It’s made of triple hard plates for durability and has 4-inch lock bolts to secure the door. It’s very large and can store 24 guns.
The patented trulock internal hinges prevent people from tampering with it, and the hard triple hard plates protect the lock from being drilled.
American Eagle Cannon safe also has a triple fin intumescent seal that protects from smoke damage. In case you are worried about fire, then this gun safe is a good deal.
It’s one of the best safes to store valuables, other than guns, too.
- Its 60-minute fire rating will keep the interior from reaching flashpoint temperature during fire.
- Triple hard plates make the locks drill-resistant, making it more secure from thieves attacking the door.
- Digital keypad allows easy access so you can get your guns at crucial moments.
- Comes with a media box for electronic storage, usable if you got accessories like gun safe dehumidifiers and interior lights.
- Lifetime replacement, in case that there are reasonable problems occurring with it.
- It has no backup key, and the lock seems prone to failure.
- Cannon customer service doesn’t seem to be helpful at all.
Gun Safe Buying Guide
Reasons for Owning a Gun Safe
Why is a gun safe necessary? The primary reason that a gun safe is made is to keep your guns from people who shouldn’t be holding them. It can be intruders or even children.
A normal closet or drawers with a lock can serve this purpose, but if someone really wants to get your gun, there are many ways to do it. The best gun safes will prevent most of the easiest methods and even some of the more complicated ones. Best gun safe will make sure that you are the only one getting hold of your guns.
There is also the problem of other hazards, like fire or flood. No one wants these things to happen, but if it does, you would want your more important items protected.
Some gun safes come with fire protection and water proofing, and you can also place your valuables in it like jewelry and passports. They cost more money, but the protection is worth it.
Considering that many insurance companies only cover $3000 worth of guns, having the best gun safe that will protect your weapons from fire, water, and thieves is optimal if your guns cost more.
Best gun safes also come with the most optimum environment for storing your gun, protecting it from moisture and other damages due to incorrect storage. It will make your guns live longer and look as new as you had first bought it with proper maintenance.
Things to Consider When Buying a Gun Safe
Before you start looking for the best gun safes to protect your firearms, you must first look on what features you need to take in consideration. There are different gun safes with many features, and you should pick the one that suits your needs.
What do you need the gun safe for? Gun safes offer a lot of features other than burglary protection. It can be water, humidity, or fire protection. If you are concerned with natural disasters like floods and fire, it is best to pick a waterproof and a fire-resistant gun safe.
If it is for self-defense, then pick a gun safe that provide quick access. This will allow you to retrieve your gun at crucial moments and act immediately. Electronic locks serve this purpose better, and they can also come with dial pad lights so you can see what you are pressing even in the dark.
If you don’t need quick access, then gun safes with mechanical locks will do, though they can also be easier to break into. Gun safes with electronic locks would also be opened with a key in case the batteries die or the dial pad fails.
Having more space is good, but you must consider the purpose. Gun safes come in different sizes. If you only have a handgun and are not planning to buy long guns, you might consider buying gun safes made for handguns.
If you have not made your mind yet if you will or will not buy large guns or rifles, getting an average size gun safe is recommended. You can always put valuables in it for the time being. It will save you money if you decide to buy bigger guns in the future.
You must consider the location where you are going to place the gun safe. The best gun safes are those that will serve its purpose where you want it and when you need it. Picking a smaller gun safe is better for a vehicle (you can mount car gun safe under seat, or in the console), as well as for a drawer.
Under bed gun safe can be a bit bigger, and in-wall gun safe can be large.
Hidden gun safe can be of any size depending on where you want to hide them, but generally, smaller ones are easier to use for this purpose.
Heavier is more secure. Best gun safes are really heavy. This way, even if you don’t bolt it in, most thieves will find it hard to walk away with your guns along with the safe. You can look at large Steelwater gun safes models if you want heavy and secure safe.
Whether it’s big or small, a safe is not a safe if the locks or other parts are not sturdy. Manual locks might be easier to break in than other types. Checking the construction type of the lock is advisable since some might not be sturdy enough.
Best gun safes have sturdy locks that can’t easily be pried. Check for the thickness and length of the door bolts. Longer and thicker bolts are generally better.
Buying a gun safe is an investment. You might as well buy the best gun safe for the money since if push comes to shove, you’d be thankful that you chose to pay extra. Don’t buy gun safes just for appearances. It’ll be a waste. Pick the best gun safes that will accommodate what you need.
Fire-resistant and Waterproof Safes
Gun safes that are fire- and water resistant are the best options for you if you got more guns than your gun insurance can cover. If such a disaster does occur, it will save you a lot more money than the cost of the extra feature.
Even if your gun insurance can cover the cost of damages, having a fire-resistant and waterproof gun safe can still be useful since you can use it to store your valuables. If incident like fire occurs, you want your guns and valuables to still be there, nice and undamaged.
Fire Rating – If you are going to get a fire-resistant gun safe, check for the rating. Fires in residential areas generally max out at around 1200 ° F. At this point, the house on fire windows will blow out and the temperature will stop rising, unless there are other factors that come into play.
Considering that the fire might take some time before getting put out, the best gun safes are fire-resistant even when exposed for at least 30 minutes or longer. If the safe can take more heat and prevent the interior from reaching the flashpoint for longer, then it’s a better option.
Other gun safe options
- Alarm systems
This is another feature that you might want in your gun safe. You can’t really trust everyone you invite in your home and an alarm is a good addition to your safe. It can also be a nasty surprise for children who are too curious for their own good. This is a good accessory for the best gun safes to protect your home.
- Extra Keypad Safety
If you got yourself a gun safe with a keypad, it’s a good idea to get ones that will lock if the wrong pin is keyed too many times. Anyone who got enough patience can guess a passcode if they tried enough.
- Drill Resistance
best gun safes are thick and drill-resistant. Check for the BF rating or higher, since these would be hard enough that they can’t be drilled with hand tools.
- Door Thickness
Thicker doors are more resistant to prying, and a door made with many pieces of metal plates is more durable and fire-resistant. Thieves generally target the door of a gun safe to open it. Having at least a 5/16-inch gun safe door or thicker is recommended.
The best gun safes will have strong doors as well as strong locks.
Type of Locks: Mechanical vs. Electronic
Both electronic and mechanical locks have their perks and consequences. You just have to choose one that fits your lifestyle. Gun safes can come in either of the two types.
Electronic locks normally come with a key pad for an access code, and some also have fingerprint readers (they are called biometric safes), while mechanical locks can only be accessed with a key. Some electronic lock safes can also come with mechanical locks as a backup in case your batteries go dead.
Safes with electronic locks also speed up retrieval since you don’t have to go around and look for the key. In emergency situations, these are the best gun safes.
Most electronic locks run on batteries though, so you need to regularly keep them fresh. There are also some that runs on A/C if you can plug it.
The worst event that could happen is if your safe’s batteries die when you need to open it at crucial moments. Some of the best gun safes can come with an external pack that you can use if the batteries die.
Biometric lock is a type of electrical lock that uses the owner’s fingerprints to open the safe. It allows a more convenient and faster access since it only needs a scan.
Biometric safe is more expensive, and it could fail if the batteries die or your fingers got sweaty during an emergency. Biometric safes are the best gun safes for the fastest retrieval, nevertheless.
Mechanical locks open by dialing a combination on a hand-turned wheel and do not have a problem of running out of juice. Generally, they are also easier to open by people who you don’t want them to open, but it can prevent young children or the casual thief. This does not mean that they can’t be one of the best gun safes.
The best gun safes would come with electrical locks and with the option of a master key to open the lock mechanically as well.
If you are a gun owner, then investing on the best gun safes is highly important. They can prevent the wrong people from getting their hands on your weapons, and they can also save your money.
If the wrong people get hold of your guns and murder someone with it, you can also get sued, and that is something you want to avoid at all cost. Gun safe can spare you this trouble.
Some gun insurance companies can give you discounts if you own a gun safe that they approve of as well. Look up your gun insurance if they do give this option, or see which gun safes they accept for the discount.
If you have guns that are more expensive than what your gun insurance covers, then having the best gun safe will save you a lot of money in case your guns get damaged or stolen.
Make sure that you consider the right features that address all of your concerns when choosing a gun safe. The best gun safes are those that offer quality for your money, and you would want one to last for years. They normally would, unless something unexpected happens.
Choosing the right gun safe to suit your needs is important. If you are a newbie when it comes to picking out gun safes, then this guide will surely help you pick the right one for you. If you choose from the list above, you can be sure that they are the best gun safes for your money.